Friday, July 13, 2012

What To Do If You Lose Your Wallet

Do you know what to do if you lose your wallet? I had the misfortune of losing mine the other day while out running errands. I took action fast and so should you if you ever lose your wallet. Here are some helpful reminders and tips in case you find yourself in this situation.

1. Always assume your wallet has been stolen. If you've happended to lose your wallet and can't find it within a few hours assume that someone else already has. Never wait more than 24 hours to call your credit card companies, banks, and other financial institutions to report the loss.

2. Call your banks and credit card providers to report that you have lost your card(s). They will cancel and deactivate your lost cards and issue you new ones. You don't want someone having a shopping spree on your dime. If you also lost blank checks be sure to mention this to your bank since many merchants are now able to clear checks electronically, it doesn’t take long for someone to use them to steal your money. Continue to monitor your accounts closely to watch for fraudulant activity.

3. Report your wallet lost or stolen to the police. It may seem like a waste of time but having a paper trail is always a good idea. It may help out later if you have any fraudulant charges to dispute. Reporting the missing wallet to police is also wise in case your wallet happens to be turned in by an honest person should it be found.

4. Don't forget to get a new driver's licence. Even if you have a police report to back up your claim of having your wallet stolen if pulled over you could still get a ticket for driving with out a licence. Remember to also replace any other identification you may have placed in your wallet such as your health insurance cards. Remember you should NEVER keep your social security card, PINs or passwords stored in your wallet.

5. Contact the Credit Bureaus. Be sure to call all three major credit reporting agencies to put a credit warning or flag on your report. That way if someone does try to apply for credit in your name, the warning will help to slow them down or prevent them from opening up new accounts.

I was so upset the other day when I lost my wallet. I searched for it for about 2 hours before giving up. However, canceling my credit and debit cards was quick and easy to take care of and I was even able to order a duplicate drivers licence online.

I would like to thank the helpful manager (wish I had asked his name) at my local Lowe's store for reviewing camera footage and doing his best to help me find my wallet. I felt like he went above and beyond his to duty to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment